Strategies that save you money can also help keep your calorie consumption on track. Try these simple tips next time you’re at the grocery store:
• Pay with cash, not plastic. You’ll have to stick to your budget if you bring only the amount of money you plan to spend.
• Think small. Those jumbo packs of snacks aren’t a bargain if you end up throwing some away, plus having bigger packages at home means you’ll eat more.3
• Shop wise. Beware of the hidden costs of buy-one-get-one-free offers. Sure, you get more food for less money, but how much might be wasted?
• Shop during non-peak times. You’ll spend less time in the checkout line, where you might be tempted to buy expensive magazines and candy.
• Skip the sweet samples. If you taste a sugary treat, such as cookies, candies or chocolate, you may be more likely to buy less healthy foods that aren’t on your list.