FIVE FROZEN FOODS FOR THE FREEZER
When buying frozen packaged foods, choose nutrient-rich ones with more vitamins, minerals and fibre, and less sodium, fat and sugar. Look for plain frozen foods that you can season yourself.
• Vegetables. Along with peas and corn, try frozen leafy greens such as spinach, kale or mixed Asian vegetables. Frozen is just as nutritious as fresh!
• Fruit. Frozen peaches, mangos and berries make quick smoothies for tasty, healthy breakfasts and snacks on the go.
• Fish. Keeping plain, unbreaded fish fillets such as salmon, trout or Arctic char in the freezer makes it easy to enjoy fish at least twice a week.
• Meat and poultry. Freeze small amounts of nutrient rich fresh cuts of red meat (beef, pork or lamb), turkey and chicken for faster defrosting.
• Pasta. Plain cheese ravioli, topped with tomato sauce and served with a leafy green salad, makes an easy mid-week meal.
Bonus items! Freeze small amounts of shredded Parmesan cheese, nuts and
chopped herbs. Add them to meals for a quick burst of flavour.