FIVE FRESH FOODS FOR YOUR FRIDGE
When buying packaged foods, choose nutrient-rich ones that have more vitamins, minerals and fibre, and less sodium, fat and sugar.
- Milk, yogurt and cheese. With up to 16 essential nutrients, milk products make a super snack or a smart addition to cooking and baking. Choose lowerfat milk products.
- Fresh vegetables and fruit. They’re filled with fibre, vitamins and minerals for good health. Keep colourful cut veggies and fruit ready for grab-and-go snacks.
- Eggs. A very versatile source of protein! Cook up a quick frittata, burrito or omelette for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Hummus or bean dips, such as black bean or white bean. Legumes are loaded with protein and fibre, and they make tasty dips for veggies.
- Natural nut butters. For a superb nutty taste, choose natural nut butters, such as peanut or almond, with no added sugar or salt.
Bonus items! A big, juicy squeeze of lemon or lime, or a small splash of lower sodium
varieties of condiments such as salsa, pesto or soy sauce, can make healthy meals pop with flavour.