Here is a quick and easy lunch or snack that will keep in the fridge all week! I’ve made many versions of this recipe, including using black beans instead of navy beans. I usually put in 1-cup of cooked whole grain pasta or quinoa, but right now I am trying to keep my carb. intake low because of having gestational diabetes. Adding some form of whole grain really completes the dish for a meal, but is great the way it is for a snack. In the summer, I throw in fresh herbs when I have them growing in my garden. Another modification I have done is switching out the artichoke with 1 avocado. Also, you can use your favorite low fat Italian or vinaigrette salad dressing, instead of the oil and balsamic vinegar mix that I used in this recipe. Play around with the recipe and enjoy!
- 2 cup Navy beans – 1x 540ml can, Drain and rinse beans
- 1.5 cup Corn, Yellow, Raw/frozen
- 1.5 cup Green Pea, Raw/frozen
- 1 cup Onion, Raw, Chopped
- 2 clove Garlic, Raw, Finely Chopped Or Put Through A Garlic Press
- 1 cup Canned Artichoke Hearts, chopped, Drained
- 1 cup Tomato, Red, Ripe, Raw, Year Round Average, Chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil, Salad Or Cooking
- 2 tbsp Vinegar, Balsamic
Add all ingredients into a large bowl. Toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with a pinch of salt or Mrs. Dash (if desired, but not necessary).
Created by: Susan Watson, Registered Dietitian