Ross and I love mushrooms and have them at least 2 or 3 times a week. (I find buying the sliced brown mushrooms at Costco for $3.99 a flat the best deal in town).
In my quest to eat more whole grains I came up with this soup recipe. I opted for using fresh tomatoes instead of canned. Anytime you are using canned foods you are going to see an increase in the sodium content of what you are eating. So it was fresh tomatoes for this recipe.
In the end, I wanted more colour and nutrition to my soup, so I threw in a package of frozen spinach. I always buy frozen spinach and add it to a bunch of different recipes to boost the nutritional content, like rice or pasta dishes. It is so simple and has a lot of bang for your buck.
The barley and buckwheat cooked up nicely in the crockpot and also thickened up the soup to a hearty consistency.
Ross found the soup a little bland, so if you want, you can add a dash of low sodium soy sauce or reduced sodium salt to kick up the flavor, but I found that was fine on its own.
Hope you enjoy! Sue
Mushroom with barley & buckwheat soup (Printable PDF)
- 1 large ONION, RAW, Chopped
- 4 clove GARLIC, RAW, Minced
- 1 cup BARLEY, PEARLED, RAW
- 1/2 cup BUCKWHEAT
- 4 cups MUSHROOM, RAW, chopped
- 9 cups WATER
- 156 ml TOMATO PASTE, canned (1 small can)
- 1 item Low Sodium Boullion Cube
- 1/2 tsp CARDAMOM, GROUND (CARDAMON)
- 1 1/2 tsp CUMIN , Ground
- 1 tbsp SEASONING BLEND, MRS. DASH
- 1 tsp Windsor Half Salt TM
- 1 tsp PEPPER, BLACK, GROUND
- 10 oz SPINACH, frozen, chopped, thawed (1 package)
1. In a large crock pot or slow cooker, add all ingredients. Stir all ingredients together.