It is packed full of fibre, which will help get some mileage out of this soup (make you feel fuller longer) 🙂
I used an ancient grain rice mix that I bought at Costco, but if you don’t shop there, or can’t find it anymore because they have discontinued it (which always seems to happen when I find something awesome at Costco)…you can use a mix of any of these ancient grains: wild rice, quinoa, spelt, barley, rye, whole oats, or red rice. Or you can buy a different brand of ancient grain mix. If you can’t find a rice mix, or don’t have any of those types of grains you, can simply use brown rice instead. The fibre content will be decreased, but it will still taste fabulous.
Having hearty soups like this one for lunch is a great way to manage your weight because it is filling and very satisfying. Pair this soup with a few whole grain crackers, maybe a handful of crunchy vegetables (carrots & celery) and a glass of milk and you have a perfectly balanced meal that will give you energy for the rest of the day and prevent the afternoon hunger crash. So next time you are planning your lunches for the week, make up a batch of this soup to take with you to work, or just have it on hand at home for a quick and easy lunch.
Nutrition info: 1 serving = 2 cups
Turkey & Ancient Grain Rice Soup Printable PDF
- 1 onion ONION, SWEET, chopped
- 3 clove GARLIC, chopped
- 1 tbsp CANOLA OIL
- 2 cups turkey, lean ground
- 8 cups CHICKEN BROTH, NONFAT, LOWER SODIUM
- 1 cup Ancient grains mixed rice or wild rice
- 3 whole TOMATO, chopped
- 1 medium GREEN PEPPER, chopped
1. In a large pot sauté onion & garlic in 1 tbsp of canola oil.
2. Add the ground turkey. Stir every few minutes until the turkey is fully cooked and slightly browned.
3. Pour in the chicken broth. Scrape the bottom of the pot to incorporate all of the flavour from sautéing the turkey.
4. Add in your choice of rice. (Ancient grain mixed rice or wild rice).
5. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium and simmer for 1 hour or until rice is fully cooked.
6. Add to pot chopped tomatoes and green peppers. Let simmer for another 15 mins, or until tender.
1 serving = 2 cups (250 ml)