200 Calorie Snacks Ideas (PDF)
It is very important for your body to have 3 balanced meals everyday, including 2‐3 snacks in between each meal. Eating three healthy meals and 2‐3 snacks throughout the day helps keep your body fueled and full of energy. Plus if you are
well prepared, you will be less tempted to eat unhealthy foods when you are hungry.
A typical snack should consist of approximately 200 calories. So what does that look like? Try these suggestions:
- 1 medium apple sliced with 2 tbsp of reduced fat peanut butter
- 1 cup strawberries, ½ cup low fat cottage cheese
- 23 dry roasted almonds: equals 163 calories and is a great source of protein!
- Haagen‐Dazs All Natural All Frozen Yogurt in Peach: A ½ cup is 170 calories and gives you 20% of your daily calcium needs!
- Honey Ham and Lettuce: Take four slices of fat free honey ham and two teaspoons of mustard and roll it in a slice of lettuce
- Fruit Smoothie: Add 1 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries and 1 cup of skim milk and blend. *add ice if desired.
- Walnuts: ¼ cup of walnuts are 200 calories
- Soy Cheese and Crackers: 1 oz soy cheese (1 large slice) and 3‐5 of your favorite whole grain crackers
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie: 6 oz skim milk, ¾ cup of diced strawberries and banana, 1 Tablespoon (1 large spoonful) chocolate syrup and 1 cup of ice.
- Popcorn & Mrs. Dash: 3 cups of air‐popped popcorn sprinkled with Mrs.Dash or your favourite low‐sodium seasoning.
- Tuna and Crackers: 2 oz (about 5 large spoonfuls) of canned tuna over 3‐6 whole grain crackers
Tip To Remember: Snacking in between meals helps you stay feeling full and prevents hunger cravings. Making smart snack choices that are approximately 200 calories promotes attaining a healthy body weight.
Written by: Kara Scott, U of M nutrition student and Susan Watson, BHNSc Registered Dietitian.